Forest fires in South Korea cause 24 deaths and 27 thousand evacuees

Home International Forest fires in South Korea cause 24 deaths and 27 thousand evacuees
Forest fires in South Korea cause 24 deaths and 27 thousand evacuees

In the middle of a dry climate and strong winds, more than one dozen fires razen since the weekend southeastern South Korea, Forcing the evacuation of 27 thousand people and causing the cutting of roads, electric and telecommunications lines.

According to the Ministry of Interior, the fires have burned 17,398 hectares, what place them among the most serious in the history of the country. 87 % of the calcined surface corresponds to a single fire in Uiseong County.

The mortal balance of the fires shot on Wednesday to 24, as the flames reached several neighborhoods and reduced an ancient temple to ashes.

24 people have been confirmed as dead so far in fires, an official of the Ministry of Security told AFP. He added that it is preliminary figures and that the balance could rise.

Most of the victims were local residents, although some Three firefighters died and a pilot died when the helicopter From lifeguards who was going to attend the emergency, he crashed in a mountainous area, authorities said.

Han Duck-Soo said at an emergency meeting that fires “They are causing unprecedented damage” and “they develop in a way that exceeds the current prediction.”

In the city of Andong, some evacuated in the gym of a school explained to the AFP that the flames advanced so fast that They had no time to take anything with them.

“The fire arrived from the mountain and fell on top of my house,” Said Kwon So-Han, 79, a neighbor from the city of Andong.

“Those who have not lived it will not know what it is. I could only take my body,” he added.

“Climate change is affecting”

Thousands of firefighters were deployed to the area and the interim president announced the implementation of “a National Large Scale Answer

However, the strong winds hindered helicopter work and drones of the Firefighters, who definitely suspended their operations after Wednesday’s accident.

“The constant changes of wind direction and the current dry climate show the limitations of conventional methods to fight the flames,” said South Korean president.

Source