The health authorities of the United States reported this May 20 that the 18 people evacuated in that country from the Canary Islands, after traveling on the cruise ship where a hantavirus outbreak, They will remain in mandatory quarantine until May 31.
People in quarantine are 17 American citizens and one British resident in the United Stateswho will remain at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
Said center, according to the authorities, It is considered the only one financed by the federal government.
“U.S. Government leadership made the decision to have passengers stay in Nebraska until May 31, when the 21-day surveillance period ends“David Fitter, head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said recently.
Two of the 18 evacuees were transferred for a few days to the Emory University Medical Center, in Atlanta, Georgia, but they were later taken to Nebraska.
Fitter emphasized that, so far, There have been no positive cases of hantavirus in the United States and that the risk to the population is “low.”
The MV Hondius, with 147 passengers and crew, arrived in the Canary Islands on May 10, after a journey that began in Ushuaia, Argentina, and that took them to several islands in the Atlantic, during which several cases of hantavirus appeared that have caused three deaths.
The 18 Americans evacuated from The Spanish islands returned to the United States on Monday, May 11in the early morning.
